Banco Português de Fomento (BPF) is the Portuguese promotional bank, a unique institution that designs innovative solutions to support national and international projects, promoting sustainability and economic development.
It was created on November 3rd, 2020, as a result of the merger, by incorporation, of PME Investimentos - Sociedade de Investimento S.A and IFD - Instituição Financeira de Desenvolvimento S.A into SPGM - Sociedade de Investimento S.A, as set out in Decree-Law No 63/2020 of 7 September 2020, in the form of a promotional/development bank to support Portugal’s economic and social development.
BPF focuses its activity on five key areas of the Portuguese economy:
- Financing SMEs: Specifically SMEs, mid-caps, and large corporates
- Innovation Projects: Digital transformation, entrepreneurship and innovation
- Green Finance: Sustainable infrastructures, transport, carbon neutrality
- Social Impact: Healthcare, long-term care, education and social housing
- Infrastructure: National/local investment projects
And its main goals are:
- to support economic development by offering innovative solutions under the same conditions as those offered by leading institutions on the international market;
- to promote the modernisation of companies, enabling entrepreneurship, research and investigation, investment and job creation;
- to promote business sustainability and economic, social and territorial cohesion in Portugal.
Learn more about BPF at www.bpfomento.pt