Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (HBOR)
Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (HBOR) was established on 12th June 1992 by the Act on the Croatian Credit Bank for Reconstruction (Hrvatska kreditna banka za obnovu – HKBO) (NN – official gazette of the Republic of Croatia, No. 33/92, amended NN 76/93, 108/95, 08/96).
In December 1995, the Bank was renamed Hrvatska banka za obnovu i razvitak (Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development). In December 2006, the new Act on the Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development was passed (NN 138/06) and in March 2013, the Act on Changes and Amendments to the Act on Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the Official Gazette of the Republic of Croatia, No. 25/13) came into force. The change of the Act relates to the number of members of the HBOR Supervisory Board.
Within the Croatian banking system, HBOR plays the role of a development and export bank established with the objective of financing the reconstruction and development of the Croatian economy.
Main activities of HBOR
- financing the reconstruction and development of Croatian economy
- financing infrastructure
- promoting exports
- supporting the development of small and medium-sized enterprises
- promoting environmental protection
- insuring the exports of Croatian goods and services from non-marketable risks
HBOR was founded and is entirely owned by the Republic of Croatia.
The Founder’s capital was prescribed by the Law in the amount of HRK 7 billion, the payment schedule of which is determined by the Government of the Republic of Croatia.
Support for the development of the Republic of Croatia
Our mission as the development and export bank of the Republic of Croatia is to provide support for the creation of new values on the basis of knowledge, cultural heritage and natural resources for the purpose of enabling the sustainable and even development of all areas of the Republic of Croatia.
Our vision is to serve as a benchmark for the success of development and export banks in the region by encouraging, through our borrowers and employees, renewable development in the general community.
Our operations incorporate the values we believe in: ethics, responsibility, reliability, borrower-orientation, renewability and knowledge.
- Ethics – we believe that a high degree of ethics is reflected in the effective achievement of the set goals in the long run. We encourage ethics among our employees, both in terms of their relations with the borrowers, and in their mutual relations, as well as in terms of their attitude towards our tasks.
- Responsibility – responsible behaviour towards our capital and our employees, towards all borrowers and projects we support, ensures continued success in the attainment of our overall purpose.
- Reliability – through our activities we aim to make our borrowers confident that we will support all viable projects consistently and systematically.
- Borrower-orientation – we try to adapt to the requirements of our borrowers as swiftly and efficiently as possible.
- Renewability – we do not measure our success in terms of the profits we generate. Rather, we focus on the long-term welfare of the general community achieved through the projects we support.
- Knowledge – we pay particular attention to projects that generate added value based on knowledge. We create conditions for our employees to benefit from continuous learning and encourage them to do so in order to develop their personal and professional capabilities fully.
Corporate social responsibility
- Grants and sponsorships
Under its corporate social responsibility activities, HBOR invests in the development of society also through grants and sponsorships, where it gives priority to projects associated with HBOR’s mission that contribute to the creation of new values based on knowledge and cultural and natural heritage with an objective of enabling sustainable and balanced development of all areas of the Republic of Croatia. The goal of awarding these funds is to create a favourable atmosphere and promote excellence in local communities and society as a whole.
- Activities and reports on corporate social responsibility
Through its operations, HBOR supports systematic, sustainable and balanced economic and social development. When developing our finance programmes and special loan terms and conditions as well as when establishing our target groups, we take into account balanced and sustainable social development and environmental protection. We are aware of multiple influences we have on our clients, partners and wider community as a financial institution, and we are aware of expectations that all our stakeholders have from HBOR as a development and export bank. Besides implementing the guidelines of the Croatian Government, abiding by laws, regulations and professional standards, we joined the Croatian network of UN Global Compact-a (UNGC) in 2007. By signing this agreement, we have obliged ourselves to promote the 10 UN Global Compact Principles in the area of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.